This week while hiking on the edge of the world on the Cabot Trail I can say that I have developed a mutual respect of the drive that was behind the early explorers like John Cabot. Each one of them had a desire to go into uncharted areas, to experience the wilderness of new lands, to go beyond. I think most of us can relate to this feeling.
On Thursday we hiked a trail called the Sky Line and it’s the closest we have come to walking on the edge of the world. It didn’t feel like it at first. We started out hiking for several hours on a trail that was a little windy and took us through short scrub trees and green grasses and berry bushes. When we finally emerged out of the trees and on to the boardwalk that sat on top of this mountain we were greeted by a breathtaking view and a breathtaking wind. Down below us the angry grey waters of the Atlantic swirled and crashed on the rocks and the offshore wind threatened to take anything that was light enough and toss it into the Atlantic. We held on to the kids and the backpacks and took a few pictures. We felt if we had an umbrella with us we could have ended up in Europe. It was an awesome experience. On our way back our friend Lenora said that she had never experienced wind that strong before...(she was born and raised here)...... Hold on to your hat......Here are a couple of pictures of that windy experience on the edge of the world on the Cabot trail.
-
Follow these links for video of the trail up the boardwalk...
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3346714707343184025
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-1600920450650668900
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3346714707343184025
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-1600920450650668900


3 comments:
I peeked at the video clip - nasty wind!!
Fabulous!!! Awesome picture of Cliff & Kira. I often think of the early pioneers as I trace my family tree and wonder how we would make out in their circumstances. Sometimes it can put things into perspective when we are feeling overwhelmed. We are reaping soooo many blessings from their labours. Canada is a great country to live in and there is sooo much more for us to explore. :o)
PS: Hey, this would make a great class field trip!!!
Wow, I watched the video, what an incredible wind.
Sounds like your having a great vacation.
Post a Comment