Monday, October 22, 2007

Monday mornings.....

Well, this week started out quite good. I was up on time,(after a very busy weekend) had the girls dressed, fed and ready to go. We were going about an hour ahead of schedule. Things were running so smooth I even had time to do my hair and put on make up.
I got two children on the bus then loaded Kira in the van. It was Monday and Monday mornings we went to the library for story time. Today I was going to be early, I was ahead of schedule, What could possibly go wrong?
The birds were singing and the sun was shining as I started the van and began backing out of the garage. I was looking over my left side as I moved out of the garage. All of a sudden CRUNCH!!! I looked over at the passenger side mirror which had been reduced to broken plastic and glass.Kira was yelling "The mirror, oh no, its broken." I put the van in drive and drove back into the garage.I grabbed the cell phone and braced myself for the call to hubby. He was very gracious and told me to go to the dealership and they would be able to help me there.
So Kira and I drove to the dealership with hunks of mangled mirror hanging off our passenger side door by a wire. When we got to the dealership one of the salesmen opened the door for me and said "You are looking for parts and service right?
I said "Yes, you saw the door, right?"
He said"I couldn't help but notice the door when you drove up"
I thanked him then spoke to the people at the service desk.(you can just imagine all the mechanics laughing at my mistake)
They kindly directed me to a nearby body shop that gave me a quote for 200 bucks to fix the mirror and damage.
Feeling extremely frustrated with myself I went home with Kira and we went for a nice long walk and enjoyed the colours and the sunshine. I came to the conclusion that I was thankful it was a mistake that could easily be fixed. I would be out 200 bucks, but aside from that in the next two days it would be fixed up as though it had never happened.

Hmmm

So here I sit, waiting for a call from the body shop to find out when the parts are in so I can get my costly manic monday mistake mended.

But hey, isn't that what an emergency fund is for?






4 comments:

Amy said...

OH KAREN..
precisely why I spend Monday mornings at home...Lol!!
Great attitude about it--Will be a greater lesson for you children on your reaction, and how Cliff and you handle it..!Well done!!

Nana Cheryl said...

We never know what a day holds for us. Yes, the importance of an emergency fund is illustrated. Sometimes we secretly hope there will be no emergencies and we'll get to spend it on ourselves, but they do come and then we are happy we didn't spend it prematurely!!
All is quite fixable - just inconvenient. I agree with Amy. These situations "test" us and our responses speak volumes, not only to our children, but to others as well.

Jen said...

Karen
I can imagine your horror!
last night I went to teach in Oshawa. I had this extremely tight spot in a driveway that I needed to see if I could squeeze through or else go all the way around the block because of one ways. My friend guided me through the space and I sucked in my belly and held my breath the whole time...hoping not to hear that CRUNCH...I really wanted to close my eyes too, but decided that would be somewhat counterproductive...thankfully we made it. Whew!!!! I know it was the sucking in that I did that enabled my van to squeeze through...Next time you have to back out of the garage, give it a try...you'll make it no problem!!!

I am glad things were not worse for you and Kira...blessings on the emergency fund!!!!

Roxanne said...

Thanks girls for helping me see one of the benefits of being single! I don't have to wonder what kind of reaction I'm going to get!!