Today, according to dutch tradition, marks St. Nicholas Eve. The story goes something like this; Sinterclaas and his helper Zwarte Piet arrive in The Netherlands by boat from Spain, usually in November. They spend a couple of weeks visiting children in schools, hospitals etc. Tradition has it that Zwarte Piet has a big sack full of gifts for the good children and coal for the naughty ones. On the night of December 5th Sinterclaas visits homes and leaves treats in the childrens wooden shoes that were left out that night. (usually stuffed with hay for Sinterclaas' white horse).
So tonight we will be enjoying some dutch cookies, candies and our chocolate letters. As we indulge I will share the story of Sinterclaas in the same way that our Opa used to share with me and my siblings.

6 comments:
mmmmmmm.....although not Dutch, I too, may enjoy some chocolate this evening as well!!!
Thanks for giving me an excuse!!!
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. It's wonderful to pass on family history to our children.
I knew there was a Dutch tradition of filling wooden shoes earlier in Dec. We learned that from Dutch/Polish friends on a Radar station in BC. It is so cool to pass on the family traditions AND our own childhood memories of them. :o) Maybe we can't celebrate Christmas all year round, but we can celebrate all of December!!! Have fun!!!
Okay, this is cruel as I've been craving chocolate all evening... yum, chocolate.. I'm feeling very "Dutch".
It seems that a number of us are getting into the festive mood with our posts.
Happy reading!
I really must delve farther into my Swedish,english, Irish heritage....surely there is a Chocolate or cheesecake tradition SOMEWHERE!!!!
Hope you all had a blast!
Did you take any pictures of the kids enjoying their treats?!
Post a Comment