Today, as I sit at the Hong Kong airport at 5 in the morning I am reflecting on the first half of our journey. It certainly was not uneventful.
When we checked our baggage in at Toronto we were told the bike box that we were sending over was too large. We had the choice of either paying 175 dollars extra to ship it as is or we could try and repack the bike box contents into our luggage and reconfigure the bike box to the dimensions set by the airline (height +lenght +width must be 62 inches total). Cliff and I were given two rolls of packing tape and a tape measure. Together we wheeled all our luggage and the kids into an empty hallway. There we problem solved and managed to stuff three bike helmets, a small bike wheel and a baby back pack carrier into our luggage.

I am amazed that we did this as our luggage was stuffed full already. We walked back to the counter and checked our luggage in. The suitcases and back packs were all under the weight requirement and the bike box was perfect too ... no issues.
During the first 2 hours of our 15 hour flight here, Cliff noticed that Keegan looked really green. Quickly he grabbed him and took him to the washroom where he was sick. The washroom was a mess but thankfully nothing else .... He has been fine the rest of the journey.
For the most part we let the kids pack their own carry ons for the plane. Calia probably had the most stuff in hers and it was very well organized. We were quite surprised when we were pulled out of the security line up in Toronto and her bag was searched. The security guard came up empty handed and sent us on our way. Then when we got to Hong Kong her bag was also searched again. We all stood around and watched as the gloved security guard searched through her stuff and then pulled Calia's craft box out of the bottom of the suitcase. There inside he found the guilty culprit, her sharp craft scissors. The security guard was very nice and understanding and just sent us on our way. The scissors? They became a permanent resident of Hong Kong.
In a few hours the next leg of our journey will begin. Thankfully that is a shorter flight of only nine hours.
12 comments:
Wow. What a flight with three young children. I'm praying for a continually safe journey.
Thank you for the update so soon!
Thankyou for taking the time to share with us your adventure as you journey into a new season of blessings.
Looking forward to experience this with you through your writings.
PS. Good choice of song.
I love Seal.
Thanks for the update... I've been wondering. Sounds pretty eventful so far... way to go Williams family!
NANA CHECKED YOUR FLIGHT AND YOU ARE NOW IN AUSSIELAND.
HEARD ABOUT YOUR PACKING AND TWICE IN ONE DAY TOO.
GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO REARRANGE ALL THE STUFF........HAVE A GOOD TIME ON NEW YEARS
LOVE FROM US
Hong Kong....I am so envious...also very glad they were all so kind to Miss Calia.
I filled Maria in on your escapades, and she wanted to know if anything had happened to Kira?
Are you very very tired now?
Love to you all from canada!
We are loving being included in your adventures in the wonderful world of blogging!!!
XO
Please, please blow a kiss to the Ocean for us.
Happy New Year Williams family!
was watching the fireworks this morning on the news I hope you were able to take in this beautiful sight.
Hey guys its Mark ... can you send me your new email address. I want to add you to my skype account. Cheers mate
Happy New Year and belated Happy Birthday -(sorry I forgot to mention it when we met for breakfast on the 27th)! Steve and Jill seem like wonderful people. What's the house like? Have you spent anytime with their sons?
I'm thinking more and more that you will probably be seeing us this year - somehow I think we'll get to go for a couple of weeks - how is next week sounding? (I wish)
Packing and repacking... WOW - what a job to start with and then to have to repack.
So what did you do for New Years Eve... I suppose you sat on a beautiful warm sunny beach while we FROZE our backsides off here in the great white north. Missed you at our euchre party - although we did have a blast in spite of wishing you were here.
Our windows had some ice on them this morning - let me guess - you've got the air conditioning on full blast!
Email me please so I can communicate via that method.
Sounds like it has been an exciting adventure so far! It's great to hear about your travels. Can't wait to read more.
Yay!! Yep, I always always wonder how families travel such long distances with kids. Way to go on the re-packing, and way to go for giving yourself enough time to deal with that! Love the pic. Also, I wonder if security regularly check little girls' carry-ons... if they are a common smuggling vehicle!
So glad that everything went well. I am sure it was nerve wrecking just a bit.
Post a Comment