Thursday, January 01, 2009


We're here!!!!!

We arrived in Melbourne on Tuesday night around 9:45. As we were approaching the city the sun was setting and the whole side of the plane was awash with gorgeous colours. What a wonderful welcome.

Kira really loved her carry on that she had for the trip. It was a plush knapsack complete with wheels, a handle and a plush teddy bear on the front of it.(thanks Auntie Chelle and Uncle Chris) While we were going through Customs there were sniffer dogs that walk up and down the rows of people and sniff for any illegal substances that people might try to bring into the country. Well the sniffer dog walked past us and was rather fond of Kira's bag and started licking the teddy bear,...a lot. I got a little worried for a second after our experience with Calia in the Hong Kong airport. Luckily it was just the puppy in the dog coming out. Perhaps he was trying to make friends with the Teddy Bear? Anyways, the handler just laughed and directed the dog back to his job. Whew!

After collecting all our luggage we met up with Matt and Tom. (Stephen and Jill's sons) They drove us through the city to Mt. Eliza and our new home.

First impressions of Australia

  • everything is so green!!!
  • so many opposites of what we are used to: driving, weather,
  • lots of daylight
  • there are beaches everywhere
  • new noises in the house, possums on the roof, birds in the garden
  • water is a very precious resource
Tonight we are going to meet up with the head of Parent Council and are getting a tour of the school then it is back to his house to meet the family and dinner. We are really looking forward to it. I will update soon.

Karen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very exciting, Karen! I trust you will have lots of exciting adventures in the next year. I just know you'll fall in love with Australia, and I'm hoping you'll write here often!

Brenda (www.engberts-kaya.com)

Shaun and Holly said...

Happy New Year Ya'll!!!! Love that pic (did you take it out of the window of your airplane)?

Karen, I can't wait to see the pics of your gardens!!!!

XOX

Rhonda said...

Happy New Year Karen! Sounds wonderful. Hopefully you're not having much jet lag and that the kids adjust to the time change wonderfully.

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Wooohooo!!
You're there!
It sounds exotic and exciting.... we are all a little envious. This will be a memory of a lifetime.
Wishing you many blessings.

Jen said...

Thanks for keeping us posted as you discover the wonders that are Australia...I am with Cheryl, we are all a little envious, but oh so happy to hear about all of the excitement!

Shari said...

Okay Karen you are tempting me.... time to start looking for flights... bring on the sunshine and forget this cold winter weather.

You are in for one fantastic year - yipee!!

Maureen said...

Between the scissors and the dog the adventure sounds like it's off to a very exciting time in 2009.
I too am looking forward to watching your gardens grow in so many ways.
I know you know what I mean.
Enjoy every precious moment from the 1st view from the plane to the many that await your every sense.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen & family: Sounds like you are having a thrill of lifetime! We would like to know if the water goes down the drain backwards in AussieLand? We have a winter wonderland here today with the snow looking like diamonds because of the sun shining and blue sky, but 17 below. Wish you were here to see it! We will email you some pictures later.
All the best, A. Judy & U. Bruce