Tuesday, July 08, 2008


Cousins!!!
I guess you could say that this week I am thankful for cousins. Coming from a large family almost guaranteed that you had a cousin your age to play with at all the family get togethers, camping trips and holidays.
This week I am so blessed to have cousins Aidan and Ben over for the week.
It has been tons of fun and I get such joy out of watching them play those fun games that I played as a kid. Games like Hide and Seek that just work better with five children as opposed to three. Today was our last day of fun as tomorrow finds us piling in the van and meeting up with Uncle Bob in Toronto. Thankfully we have two family camping trips this summer so they will be able to have lots of time together.

FYI: A short while ago I was reading how in China they are finding that children are growing up without the knowledge of what a cousin is....this is due to their one child per family policy. I find that kind of sad and at the same time makes me thankful for the family that I have.

Here's to cousins!!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

For many years, I was the baby cousin on my mom's side, then the youngest girl....My cousins had a lot of fun with me...not the kind of fun, I'd want to catch my kids and their cousins having. Like sneaking away the parents' 1/4 full drinks at family reunions and getting me to drink them...."Give it to 'Janny', see if she will drink it!
(I was probably about 5 at the time)
It's a wonder I wasn't sick as a dog!
I don't know if any of our parents ever found out either...

I am glad you had this week together, it is fun to watch the next generation play and form friendships with the cousins.

Rhonda said...

I had lots of cousins on both sides of my family and I loved it too! 23 cousins on my Dad's side and 10 cousins on my Mom's side; with lots on both side that were around my age.

I always loved that part about my identity.

My children are all older than any of their cousins and I've wished that they had known the experience of cousins their own age.

Anonymous said...

And there are lots of good memories that I have
with you and Monica back in the olden days. A blessing, to be sure.

From a cousin.

Spot