I will admit it
tonight I am a little ripped up inside.
Earlier on, as I was brushing my 7 year olds hair
and trimming her bangs after her bath
we were having the usual bits of conversation
you know "girl talk".
Then out is came.
Out of the blue.
"Mom, I think I want to cut my hair" she said.
"Thats what I just did, I trimmed your bangs honey". Naively I continue brushing her long, auburn locks.
"No, I want to cut all my hair off .....you know...and give it to Cuts for Cancer"
Ummmppph. That was about the only sound I could muster for a minute.
"Daddy and I will talk about it," I said trying to sound as unemotional as possible.
Yet inside I was freaking out.
Yes, I know that it is only hair, and that hair grows back.....
and this is the first time she has mentioned it.......
BUT I so love doing her hair, braiding it, putting it in pony tails
Both my girls have had such lovely thick hair since they were toddlers
and it has always brought many comments from strangers and friends.
What am I fearing???
That she gets called a boy?
So tonight I battle my pride and
expand the parameters of my own selfish definition of
beauty.
Giving 2019
6 years ago
13 comments:
It is tough as a mom to let your daughter get her long hair cut off. The first time Jana did, I braided it and had the braids cut off. I still have those. Jana also had hers cut for cancer at one time. They kept it about shoulder length so it wasn't too short. It's easier to handle than cutting it totally off. You'll be okay Karen. It will grow back!
Most of us get our hair cut for purely vain reasons. How sweet that her reasoning is purely unselfish ... to benefit someone else!
Be brave Momma. You can do it! :o)
H.
when you've been growing it since birth it is a big deal!! Good for her for wanting to do it for cancer! You've obviously instilled something good into her!!
When Hannah wanted/had long hair I begged her to get it cut. lol. I am not a fan of long hair but I do try to let her have her own ideas and opinions about it...long or short.
Good luck to you!!
I know I would have reacted the very same way. Amy is right, when you've been growing it since birth, it is a big deal.
And, as Cathy mentioned, I know I've seen it cut to perhaps shoulder length and not really, really short. Her hair is so long, perhaps they'll get enough and leave it longer than shoulder length.
Hey, for the last two summers, I've given
Em and Soph pixie cuts, and they love them.
They don't look boyish at all. : ) Less lice.
SPot
ps. We kept Tirzah's hair short for the 1st 4 years of her life...AND she got TONS of complements on her pretty red hair. ;o) Short hair-long hair...BOTH show off the beauty of our sweet girls!
H.
Oh! I can relate Karen!
Jianna's first cut was a few weeks before kindergarten, (only because I figured having hair you could sit on might be a little dangerous on the play ground), and it was only about 3-4 inches.....I was SAD....For a short period, she declared she wanted "boy hair", but it was only because she didn't want me to fuss with it as much as I was.
I have learned to let her style it as she pleases, and she usually LOVES her braids, (which I couldn't wait to have a little girl for)....so, for now, we are both happy with her long hair.
It won't be easy for me to let her have short hair, should that day come.....BUT if she threw in the humanitarian card, I'd be in such a to-do!!
Calia is a girly girl and no one will ever mistake her for a boy....and there is always Kira!
What a loving child you have.
And to be able to bless another child with her beautiful locks is truly serving her Father in the highest form.
Being in the "vanity" cosmetic industry I see alot of self indulgence and self centeredness.
But this desire is the best example of "True Beauty"
Last June Emma decided to cut her long, beautiful white-blonde hair to donate to Cuts for Cancer. I too had a little struggle with this since her hair is so gorgeous. Then I looked at it from the other angle, here sat my then 8 year old daughter willing to give up something of her own for someone who needed it more than her. How could I possibly deny her that? It was her way of serving Him by helping others. It's been over a year now and even though her hair is not yet as long as it was, it is growing and is just as beautiful and has much more meaning than before.
So what's Daddy's reaction to all of this haircutting business?
I must say your daughter has impressed me with the reasoning for getting her hair cut off.
Keep us posted on what the outcome is.
I'd offer to cut it BUT I'm afraid that you won't speak to me till it grows out again. YIKES
So.............what happened?
Was it a fleeting thought?
Do tell.
Post a Comment