Sunday, March 29, 2009

Planning

Ok.
Here we go.
Its Monday morning at our house, the kids are off to school.
Kira is getting dressed and here I sit at the computer. It is the last week of classes for term 1. Easter Break officially begins in 5 days. We have decided that for those two weeks we are renting a campervan and going on a road trip. Our destination? Uluru (Ayers Rock) and Alice Springs, right in the heart of Australia. Excited??? Yes, till I read this little warning on my map.....

.WARNING: In outback Australia, long distances separate some towns. Travellers should familiarize themselves with prevailing conditions before departure and take care to ensure that their vehicle is road worthy. Adequate supplies of petrol, water and food should be carried at all times.

I wonder if they have any last minute deals on flights????

Seriously though, it is going to be fun to drive it. Then you get the opportunity to see the land and experience a lot more. We are going to be staying overnight in some really cool places. Coober Pedy is a town that is mostly built underground. We have a room booked at the Comfort Inn which is all underground and constructed in an old Opal mine. If you play golf in Coober Pedy, you get a piece of turf to take a long with you when you tee off as the golf course is sand and gravel. Golf is frequently played at night with glow in the dark balls. Oh and of course I am going to check out the opals as opal mining is what the town is all about. I definitely need to remember to take lots of pictures.

So today I plan, make lists and pour over maps.

Stay tuned in the upcoming weeks as we will be posting about our trip from the road as the laptop is on my list of things to bring
along with more water bottles and the gas can.

4 comments:

Maureen said...

sounds wonderful looking forward to reading about this adventure,especially the underground town.
Have Fun!

Shaun and Holly said...

God bless you with safe and happy travels! :)

Vicki said...

I love how you are embracing the opportunity God has provided for you! You are packing more into one year than most people would pack into 10 years! Happy 'memory making'! We'll be waiting to hear all about it!

Jen said...

That will be quite a trip! I can hardly wait to hear of all of your sightings and new experiences....please DO pack lots of extra water and fuel...gulp!!