OOOPPPS
Well, it happens to everyone at some point and today it happened to us.
You see, hubby got up early and put Keegan on the bus, then crawled back into bed with me.
Lets do the math here, 2 tired bodies + 1 cold room + an alarm that was not reset = sleep in!
At 8:20 we discovered what had happened and sprung out of bed. It is amazing the whirlwind that happens when this occurs. Cliff had a meeting at nine in town so he left by 8:30, professionally dressed, coffee in hand. One down two to go.
My other dilemma was this. Calia had skating with her school today,and after trying to force her feet into her skates I realized that it had been 2 years since she had worn them. My little Cinderella needed larger skates. So after wolfing down a toast both girls and I got into the van and drove to Play it Again sports.
Once there my Cinderella had the stress of deciding "Figure skates or hockey skates?"
She started with the white figure skates but after trying on several pairs and finding them not so comfortable I suggested maybe she should try hockey skates.
That was greeted with a intense opposition from my Princess. "Those are boy skates," she said as she winced in pain as she tried on another pair of figure skates. The situation was looking pretty bleak. There we sat in the midst of piles of skates, black on one side, white on the other. Meanwhile with each minute that passed making her more and more late for school. The helpful store employee had her trying on more pairs of white girlie figure skates, each one being described by her as too tight, pinchy, squishy.
Desperate times called for desperate measures...
Finally, I said to her, "why don't you just try a hockey skate?"
Reluctantly she surrendered her aching feet and tried on the pair of offending black skates. Slowly a confident smile spread across her face. "They feel so comfortable", she said.
"Can we get these Mom?" she asked. I almost fell over.
"Of course", I answered.
I smiled as I went up and paid for her black skates. I was happy that she had finally made her own choice about what pair of skates to get, amazed that the whole comfort vs. fashion thing was already being presented to her at her age.
Most of all I was happy that this would be the last skate shopping excursion we would go on in a long time as my cupboard is stocked with enough black hockey skates to last her for years.
Now to work on Kira......
Oh yeah, and tonight we are setting the alarm.
Giving 2019
6 years ago
6 comments:
We are not at that stage yet...but I'm sure we will be in the next few years..that is why I'm enjoying this year!! Being at home on maternity, with one child in school---and not until the afternoon!! BLISS!!!!!
heeheehee...I had a visual picture of you guys running around trying to get out of the house on time! ;o) Glad that Calia was able to choose comfort over style. Usually, when you feel how much better something feels, it is easier to make the choice! Sometime...i do choose fashion over comfort but only for "date nights"!! ;o)
OHHHH! The Chaos...I dreamed last night that I was very late for my hot dog duty today at school. Probably all do to the fact that Maria had to be at the school for 6:15...skiing, (ask Cliff who organizes these crazy times?!?), which meant Jonathan had to get a drive to school with DeHaans...didn't get up to say good bye to either of these kiddos...than I got the rest of us out....and was not late...woo hoo!
Fashion vs. comfort...I am not the best roll model for my girls on this front....I admit it...we try really hard to compromise and find a way to do both....though my 9 year old did go on a class trip to queens this week in ballet flats...you know the day it REALLY snowed? We forgot to check the forecast first. At least she was smart enough to change into her runners at school when she realized our Faux pas.
Okay, so other people have those kinds of days too?! That's good.
But should a Vice Principal's daughter be late for school??? I don't think that will look good on the resume. Attendance is important you know. At least that is what I've heard. :)
Wait a minute...you just realized the morning of that she needed skates for that day?!! How is this not surprising? I'm sure this will come to bite me in the butt in a few years...
lol...the fun I am missing only having a dog and a cat!lol
Post a Comment