Happy 100th Birthday to a Canadian Icon!!!
(the following is a bit or creative writing to this Canadian Icon. If you have ever been to PEI you will know who she is)
The process of packing up the farmhouse began in her old bedroom. Looking around the room she decided to start with the bookshelf which still contained plenty of books. She picked up the first one and did a double glance at the cover of the book.
“Anne,..Anne of Green Gables” she said. She held the book in her hands and glanced at the picture of the adolescent, red haired Anne.
‘Oh Anne, Anne with an E” she sighed. She embraced the book, like one would do with a long lost friend.
‘I have missed you so much” she said.
She flipped through the dog eared pages, sat down at the desk and began to write.
Dear Anne,
I am so sorry that it has been so long since we last communicated. You must believe me when I tell you that I have thought of you often through the years. Now that I have found my long lost book I want to write you to tell you thank you for being such a dear friend.
We have a long history together. I was in grade school when we first met. A thoughtful teacher pulled out your story and began to read it bit by bit to her young charges one hot June afternoon. By summer holidays I was hooked. It was the beginning of a lengthy relationship. You have been intertwined in every bit of my life.
I am not sure exactly what it was about you that drew me to you Anne. Perhaps it was your tenacity and your ability to stand up for yourself. Or maybe it was your example of undying love and loyalty for your friends and family.
One thing that drew me to Green Gables was the similarity it had to my own childhood home. I grew up in rural Ontario on a family farm. We had a large immigrant family and were part of a close knit farming community. We had our own village, school and “Lake of Shining Waters”....hey....we even had our own version of Rachel Lynde.
I remember learning when I was in high school that you were world famous. I think it was after your movie and the TV series was produced. I saw all these pictures of Green Gables with its lawn full of tourists all wanting to meet you, a fictional character Anne, fictional or not, I see parts of you in myself and the people that surround me. So in a way you could say that you are immortal. Sounds better than a Greek play, eh?
Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.. ..
In came a young girl, her long, strawberry blonde tresses tied back in two pony tails.
She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose and peered at the letter.
”Hi Mom, What cha doing?
Who’s Anne?
Giving 2019
6 years ago
4 comments:
I met Anne in 1975. She came to me as a Christmas gift. I thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent together.
I had the lovely hard-cover gift out only about a week ago to show my daughters along with the inscription from two of my aunts.
Rhonda
My sister and I bought a set of Anne books while visiting Green Gables when I was 10 years old...I was hooked.
I so loved introducing my girls to Anne during our travels 2 years ago which included Green Gables.
My home is dotted with Anne, prints and dolls, books and coloring books even a wind chime and stepping stone.
So glad to know there are many kindred Spirits out there enjoying Anne and introducing her to the next generation.
Our own little Islander has red hair and freckles but her middle name ANN doesn't have an "e" on the end. The "real" Anne would feel so sorry for her!! ;o)
lol..I love Anne! I finally own a copy of all the movies:o) I got it for my birthday this past year. (Rhonda...the year you met Anne was the year I was born)lol
Post a Comment