Monday, June 08, 2009

Reflections

The other day I was walking the kids to school and heard someone coming up behind us on the sidewalk. Instinctively, all four of us moved over to the left hand side to let this person pass us. It was then that the thought struck me,,..."When did something that required so much effort on our part become so easy?" There was a point in time a few short months ago where I was causing traffic jams in the grocery store aisles and driving a car required so much concentration cause everything was backward and I was driving on the "wrong" side.

Now, I get into the car and just drive. It is just second nature.

Weird? And the crazy thing is I can not remember when this switch happened.

I mean we are still Canadians living in Australia. Even though we have been here for half a year now I still have plenty of moments when people do not understand me or I look like a fool cause I ask questions about the most obscure things. You should have seen me in Coles (grocery store) speaking to the young man in the dairy aisle about milk. By the way, Homogenized milk here is not the same as homogenized milk in Canada.

I have also realized that instead of remembering everything that Canada has and we don't have in Australia, we have truly begun to appreciate some of the things that Australia has to offer. For instance, I don't crave Tim Horton's coffee anymore, or Starbucks for that matter. We have been so busy trying out different coffee shops, (and there are so many to chose from) I would say that presently a good cappucino is my beverage of choice.

I guess what I am trying to say is we are acclimatizing to Australia in ways that we don't even realize.

Now to get my kids to stop wearing shorts to school and clean their rooms without me asking.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah...with coming back in Jan, you might want to work on the shorts things...or not, Canadian winters will soon fix the desire to wear shorts anywhere!

That is neat about the instincts all changing so quickly....yet some things probably never would.
Any Great Tea Shops over there?

I can't remember why,(probably because I drove down town TO for the first time), but I was thinking about you on the weekend and wondering how much of a chore it was for you to drive in Australia now.
I am glad it is not, that way you can enjoy yourself more.

Shaun and Holly said...

What a wonderful journey you have been on!!! Have you been jounaling (other than this Blog)at all? This experience will be so significant in shaping your kids and you will all have life long memories of your special year. (I bet some of your favorite memories as a family!)

Holly
xo

Colleen said...

A half a year already! I wonder how you feel... a half year til we get home to Canada...or shoot only a half year left in Australia, we're running out of time!! For the rest of us maybe it is has us wondering what have we accomplished this year?
And of course we are all thinking we are running out of time for a spontaneous trip to Australia *lol* hope we all don't show up on your doorstep at the same time.