Monday, January 05, 2009

I did it!!!!!!!

Part of moving to a new culture is trying to get used to doing things the way the locals do it. Today, that meant me moving from the passengers seat to the drivers seat. Cliff became my navigator and the kids were the peanut gallery in the backseat. Together, all of them witnessed Mommys learning curve as I began driving on the left.
So for all of you who were not in the car I am going to use the fly on the wall analogy.

Imagine that you are a tiny insect. Unnoticed by most but able to listen to to the conversation that is going on nearby. Today you are crawling on the ceiling of the Toyota full of the Williams family..... this is what you would have heard...

"Buckle up"
"Can we put on our bike hemets Mommy?"

"Your hugging the curb"

"Careful, watch the car"

"The cyclist,..eeep...that was close"

"Look the other way, you know, your other left"
"Left, Left,.......LEFT!!!!!"

"Signal, SIGNAL!!.....not the windshield wipers,....try the other side"

"Yay, we made it to the playground, let me out so I can kiss the ground"

We toured around the suburbs of Mount Eliza. I think I did pretty good considering 5 days ago I was not at all remotely interested in getting behind the wheel. The roundabouts were okay, I am still trying to remember which way to signal in them and every so often I mess up and do a turn and end up on the other side of the street.

At home driving is something I have been doing for twenty plus years. Most days I could get in the van and drive to Belleville and not even think twice about it. Today I felt like I was 16 again and in Drivers Ed. I have to think about every action I do in the car because it is the exact opposite of everything I have learned. For instance, I always turned the windshield wipers on when I wanted to signal cause thats where the signal was in Canada.

So, yes I am happy with what I accomplished today. The next trip out will involve the two lane roundabouts and the highway. Stay tuned.....maybe there will be a fly on the wall in the Toyota on that trip too.

10 comments:

Shaun and Holly said...

Great job you BRAVE woman!!! :)

Maureen said...

Your left!
No the other left
you mean this left?
Right!
Right?
No left!
Reading this I imagined Who's on first.
I agree with Holly you are a brave woman.
Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I would daresay you remained in the passenger seat since it is the steering wheel that moved. : )

The side profile of you driving reminded me of Oma... spirited and determined. Hopefully, you can continue to laugh your way through this learning "curve" of driving.

Thanks for all the updates; I love reading about the adventure.

cousin Sara Pot (SPot)

The Hippie Moose said...

Good job! It really could have been worse... can you imagine Dave trying to help navigate? "left, or maybe right.. oh look... a beach!"

The Hippie Moose said...

Good job! It really could have been worse... can you imagine Dave trying to help navigate? "left, or maybe right.. oh look... a beach!"

The Hippie Moose said...

Good job! It really could have been worse... can you imagine Dave trying to help navigate? "left, or maybe right.. oh look... a beach!"

Roxanne said...

Imagine how much 'fun' the couple that came to Canada is having learning to drive 'on the other side' and in the snow!!

Shari said...

If Kevin were to read this post I can hear what he'd be saying.... "Shari already drives from the passengers seat!"

Anonymous said...

From a girl who was a passanger in a car using the Right side is the Driver's side....good luck, keep looking left, it will get better and don't forget the etiquette of round abouts....we had a police officer remind us on the way out of Inverness! You can do it! And when I get there you will be a pro!

Keegan said...

I must kiss the GROUND