Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Flipside

I must admit that Australia has got to sound quite tempting, especially to all my cold Canadian friends. I mean who could resist the lure of salt water beaches, palm trees, and warm temperatures? Yes, we have been enjoying those things but today I wanted to focus on things from our experience that made me go "ick"and cringe a bit.

Last week when we were in Melbourne we took a walk around some of the parkland by the Yarra River. There we found colonies of fruit bats that hung in the trees during the day and every evening around dusk there is a mass exodus as they all head out to the suburbs to feast on fruit,..yes fruit. Well, from a distance these creatures do not look that bad. Once up close to the trees and looking at them you notice the size of them. They are nick named "flying foxes" cause they are about the size of a small fox and have a wingspan of a hawk. Slightly different in size than the bats in Canada that remind me of flying mice.
"ICK"
Now the reason I was able to stand underneath the trees was because we were in open air. If there was a roof overhead I would not have been sticking around long enough to take pictures.
Australia also has some interesting arachnids. There are four types of spiders that we were told about in our orientation. (Interesting how we found out about this after we signed the papers.) Three of those are poisonous and the fourth is not. It is called a Huntsman and made the list because of its size.

On Monday Cliff got down one of the coolers from the shelf in the laundry room. He brought it in the kitchen where he set it on the counter and then noticed this creature perched on the side of it. He called out to the kids "Look, I have found a Huntsman". They all came running and I wanted to lock myself in the bathroom. Instead, I put on a brave face and came out to the living room where I could see the kids taking pictures of a huge hairy spider the size of my hand. "ICK!!!"


Cliff ended up capturing it in a cup and letting it go outside. I can't say this spider would have had a similar fate if I had discovered it.

So, I am taking advice from the natives and am practicing the art of Looking. Looking before I step anywhere in salt water, looking before I go into the laundry room, looking when I pick up a rock or stick outside, looking at any spider I see to check if it is poisonous or not.
So through these little experiences in adapting to life in a tropical culture I have realized two things.The first that I will not be watching any movies like Arachniphobia and the second that when faced with a choice between living with spiders or living with black bears, well, give me a Black Bear anyday.

10 comments:

Rhonda said...

I must agree.....ICK!!!!!

I can't say that would like the 'flying foxes' or the 'hand-sized' spiders. No. Not at all. I am a very big wimp.

Shari said...

I hate bats... and believe me I've lived with more than my fair share of them!!

Spiders don't thrill me either.

Shari said...

Karen
I responded to your comment on my post "Gonna Be A Bear".

Jen said...

Oh!! I would be having some major problems with these creatures.
You should have heard the screech from Maria when we discovered one lowly finger nail sized spider while cleaning Michael's room.

I am horrible with bats too. I remember discovering one in the house while pregnant with Jianna. It was Sunday morning and Mark was at band practice, so being the brave mama I was, I shoed all the kids on the front verandah and called Mark. A few minutes later, my night in shining armor came in the person of Sheldon Crowder to take care of my bat....I was so thankful!!!

Maureen said...

I was a little leary just to scroll down and look at the picture of the spider. I have goose bumps still.Steve always says to me Oh for Petes sake you're bigger than a spider,Oh ya! I'd like to see him step on that puppy without crawling out of his skin.

Cathy said...

I'm not afraid of spiders, but I'm sorry...that's a monster!!!

Shaun and Holly said...

EEEEeeeek! I am scared...all the way in Canada!

Anonymous said...

Ok I've been to Australia and have seen these spiders and they are the most frightening things I've ever seen in my life! Even if I know it's a Huntsman and they're not poisonous....

That picture you took just reminds me of how ugly and disgusting they are and how afraid I am of spiders!
Just keep looking before doing anything as you have learned.... they turn up in the most common places... ugh (shiver)

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I would not want to meet the bats....they are flying rodents and no need for them anywhere. As for the spider...Ick, but cool at the same time, I would have been taking pictures too!

Tamatha said...

ok...I wouldn't mind the bats...but the spiders!aaaahhhh!!! I don't like em...even the ones in Canada make me scream sometimes! And yet...I still want to visit Lisa in Australia A.S.A.P.