Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Its time to learn the language......

One of the things that never ceases to amaze me is the fact that we speak English in Canada and the Aussies speak English in Australia but they are like two different languages. So for now I have lists like this one in my head. Are you ready for Aussie language class 101? Ok here we go.

Words are shortened and blended together. For example, you do not go to university, you go to uni. To a Canadian the converstion moves quite quickly.

Translations

Melbourne is pronounced Mel bun.
Garbage is called Rubbish.
Flip flops are Thongs
Sweater is a jumper.
Beer is your tinnies.
A guy is a bloke
Friend is your mate
Dock/wharf is a jetty
Underwear is your knickers

Lessons learned

Tart in its singular form is a synonym for prostitute so as a rule of thumb you always specify the flavor of tarts you are refering to. For example, "I am picking up the butter tarts from the bakery"

Toilet means the washroom. On the second day of school Cliff made an announcement and said that one of the washrooms would be closed for repairs. Later he went into the classrooms and saw that all the teachers had written on the blackboard "Washrooms = toilets". I guess that none of the kids knew what he was talking about.

Expressions you would hear in conversation;
"How are you going?","No worries","Good on you"

Homework tonight, make sentences out of the translated words from above. (Cliff and I do that quite often and it makes for a good laugh)

For now I just listen carefully to the locals and contine to make lists like these in my head.
Oh yes, and I take it as a compliment when my children's friends tell me I talk like a movie star.

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Very British actually.
I knew all of them as my parents were British.
Laughing at the Tarts Knickers and Jumper as it took me back to my childhood.Thankyou for that I haven't heard those expressions for a very long time.
Mum aka Mom whenever she heard something that she didn't approve of always said
"That's bloody rubbish"
Oh I just know I would love it there!

Mom's Group said...

You ARE a movie star!!! :)

XO

Vicki said...

Love it! It'll be interesting to see how much an accent your family picks up while you are there!

Shari said...

Thanks for the lesson.

Jill and Steve had problems with your washing machine. We called to ensure that it was fixed and all was well. Steve told Kevin that lint from Jill's jumper was the problem.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out how a Jumper would have that much lint... of course I'm thinking of a jean jumper... now I know it was a SWEATER. Thanks for the translation!!

Amy said...

Okay..this is funny. And Shari's comment is really funny!! Oh, those jumpers!

Tamatha said...

haha....makes me miss my friend that is from Australia all the more. She has said many of those things to me.haha