Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Names

One thing we have noticed about Australia is the "different" names used for towns and villages. For example, on Friday night as we drove out to South Gippsland we noticed highway signs for places like : Koo-Wee-Rup, Bunyip, Poowong, Kongwak, Jindivick, Nar Nar Goon and Lang Lang to name a few. It seemed rather odd that on the same map there were places named Kingston, Hastings, Frankston and Pearcedale. So I did a little research and I didn't have to go far.

The names that we find to be really odd,...like Poowong are aboriginal names, usually meaning something to do with the natural environment. For instance, the town of Wonthaggi means windy in the language of the native people. The towns with the "familiar" names obviously get their names from the British explorers. So there you go. Now as we do our exploring around Victoria I am going to post some of these different names and their meanings.

Next weekend, we are heading to Geelong.

3 comments:

Mom's Group said...

How cool! Make a list of those cool names...maybe one of them will make a neat name for a puppy?!! :)

Aren't I helpful? hahaha

Em said...

hey guys its emily, i got a weird one for you, the town adam and i went to primary school in was called Korumburra (apparently it means 'blowfly' in aboriginal.) our current school is in Leongatha and theres one in melbourne called Ernst Wanke....

talk soon Em xox

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's funny eh? I want to live in a place with a name like Wagga Wagga.