Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The coffee pot is still on.....

Earlier this morning I awoke to the soft sounds of a child whimpering..

Pretending to sleep I smile as Cliff gets out of bed to attend to our child.

I burrow deep beneath the covers, snug and warm, anticipating a quick return to dreamland.

4:55 the clock reads

Then I hear him say "Karen, I need your help"

Quickly I bound out of bed and stumble into our daughters room,

what a site to behold!

Our little princess had thrown up all over her crib.

We nod to each other in sleepy unison

"OK, I'll clean the child, you clean the bed"

So very early in the morning there I sat in the bathroom

With a two year old in the bathtub, playing with her Dora bath toys

while the washing machine chugs in the basement.


This morning I am keeping the coffee pot on and I smile in the knowledge

that I have been blessed with a wonderful husband and best friend. :)


4 comments:

Amy said...

Isn't it beautiful to know you have a companion that would do anything for you or your children??? I am blessed just the same.

Praying all is well in your household, and the sickness was only a momentary blip.

Amy

Jen said...

Oh! The all too familiar call in the night. I joked when the children were babies that I had them the first year and a half at night, but once they were weaned, nights were Mark's....there always seemed to be another little one coming... or here.
Now that there are no more babies to wean....My night duty really is done. If the kids need us in the night, Mark goes...He hears them and MOST of the time I don't. (I do on occasion smile as he goes too). Funny how as babies even in our bed, Mark never heard them or knew how much I was up if at all, he heard nothing. Now the tables have turned, and since they are children way longer than babies...I'd say I got the long end of that stick!
If I hear a "JEN!" in the night though....well Karen, been there way to often....and I always do the child....I am SUPER bad with vomit!

Husbands are great!
Keep your eyes open a while longer Karen.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Karen,

We just went through that with Lindsay right before she moved into the home. It was the worst bout she ever had. My sympathies go out to you.

Thank God for wonderful husbands, javex, washing machines and Pedialyte!!

Sending you my prayers.

Cheryl

Shari said...

Kevin was amazing with our children. I don't do well with bad odours so, he did most of the clean-up with sick kids.

One time Ryan was crying in his crib and then suddenly stop - we went in to see him playing with what appeared to be cottage cheese. He had an upset stomack and got relief after throwing up. It was nasty curdled milk....yum!! We took pitures - sick parents!!

Come over sometime and I'll show you the photos!!

Shari