Monday, March 05, 2007

I love CS Lewis. He has been my favourite author since I was a child.

Yesterday I was inspired to pick up his seventh book in the chronicles of Narnia, "The Last Battle." I remembered how as a child it was the book that was the least appealing to me of the seven but that was because it was the last book and it is the end of the story (at least I thought it was) I flipped through the pages and quickly remembered the story line.

the last battle of Narnia
there is lots of deception and confusion and darkness
the animals and children end up passing through the doorway, the ones that went to the left of Aslan disappeared into his shadow and the the ones on his right came throught the doorway and were having a bit of a joyous reunion

This is what really jumped off the page at me.

"Further in and higher up!" cried Roonwit (the centaur) and thundered away in a gallop to the West. And though they did not understand him, the words somehow set them tingling all over."
pg 146, The Last Battle

For the past couple of months I have really been challenged to go "further in and higher up."
in my journey as a wife, mother and friend but also in being a woman who is a child of God.

Stay tuned as I will be sharing bits and pieces of my journey in going "further in and higher up" .

2 comments:

Shaun and Holly said...

Karen,
Our whole family adores CS Lewis and his writings. The last battle (story) is actually, Tirzah's favorite so I have had the treat to listen to the Radio theator drama, over and over again.(You may borrow it, if you would like...it is so beautifully done)!
I believe that Shari mentioned "further in and higher up" at our last Intercession meeting. I had a wonderful mental picture of "Narnia" when she said this. It is really neat that you are dwelling on the same thoughts! ;o) Thanks God for giving us UNITY!

Shari said...

Karen

Kevin shares your passion for CS Lewis and his writings.

Although I've read just a bit from Lewis, the phrase "further in and higher up" is a very familiar one. I am also challenged each time I hear/read this. It requires "movement" on our part in more than one area. It requires movement both vertically and horizontally. This means to really have movement it will affect our earthly relationships and our heavenly relationship...anyhow, this is how I process this phrase.

I see you as a woman, who has chosen to make great strides forward and upward! I am soooooo proud of the you!! It has been an honor to watch you grow...and lots of fun..(the Seige).

Shari