Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Photograph


High on a shelf it sits.

Void of colour, it speaks to me of days gone by.

the stark contrast of black and white

does nothing to hide the look of destiny and promise

on the young couples faces

It is a peacefull spring day, an outing with friends

it speaks of fun and laughter, not approaching

famine and war.


Finally,

At long last,

and with gratitude in their eyes ,

the young family applauds the soldiers

bearing the flag with the red maple leaf.

A child hands the freedom fighter flowers

the village erupts in celebration.

What now Lord? Where do we go from here?

Tearfully the decision is made,

A childs grubby hand reaches for the secure grip of his mother.

It is so hard to walk straight after weeks at sea

Eagerly the young family steps onto the soil of the land

where " God will rule from sea to sea

and from the River to the ends of the earth."


Sound familiar?

I am sure if I was to look

Most of us have black and white

photos in some corner of our house too.



(Holly, you inspired me after your gratitude Saturday entry or was it Monday? :))

I think this is gratitude week for me. The photo I speak of is of my grandparents.

Today I salute my grandmother, for the choices she made in her life and most

importantly for being a woman of faith.



2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Beautifully written Karen!!

Shari said...

Karen

Thanks for the read - I LOVE when people "Honor" their parents/grandparents!

Love
Shari