Definately not an ordinary April morning
when red lights and sirens and their noise
wake up our household.
"Whats going on?" sleepy children call
"There is an emergency, somebody needs help" Mommy says.
We stare out the windows as the haze of smoke builds in the field below
and the smell of soot and smoke contaminates the fresh April air.
With a tear in her eye she realizes this disaster has struck really close to home.
When Mommy's extra child for the day is dropped off, then she hears the update,
"the road is closed,"" detour,"" still burning"and "its so an so's house".
After several phone calls to hubby and the school bus company
she is reassured when she hears "we will be rerouting some routes, your son will be picked up"
With coffee cup in hand she takes all the children outside to the end of the driveway
and waits.......................
Several minutes beyond the usual time the yellow and black vehicle arrives.
Wrong route #??? wrong direction??
After a short conversation with the driver the son is picked up
Mommy watches it disappear into the distance
and wipes the tear out of her eye.
So today as I feel the sun shine and hear the birds sing,
I am burdened for a family,( I don't even know)
who have suffered the loss of their home
on this beautiful April morning.
Giving 2019
6 years ago
6 comments:
I can't imagine losing my home in a fire...
Mike has many of these stories and more...almost daily... you never fully understand, but you either turn away or trust God more.
Are they friends? Can we help in any way?
I get heavy in the heart when I hear or see an Ambulance or fire truck on route somewhere...You realize that someone, somewhere is in distress. At times like this we are called to pray and to cover.
So today I will be thankful that I have a house to clean - even if it is really messy...it is still standing and all is fine!
Amy,
I don't know the family personally.However, this morning I went for a playdate with a friend that lives two doors down and is quite close with the family. I got a chance to meet the child and the family dog, she filled us in on what happened. The parents were still in the driveway dealing with the aftermath/insurance etc.(not a good time to introduce myself) The main living area of the house is still standing and looks okay, the one side of the house/garage are gone.......
Its funny how it takes something like this to get people out and pulling together like a real community.....When hearing the story from their child I am so thankful that a passerby happened to see the flames coming out of the garage and was able to knock on the door to warn them and they were able to escape quickly and that the propane tanks that were exposed to the flames did not explode....and yes they have insurance....
It has been an emotional morning...thank God for sunglasses
Wow. It takes only an instant. (Mike has an AWFUL story about a fire and a child...) Fires break my heart..I shutter at the thought of them.
Let me know if I can help out with anything? Clothes or food?? Something-anything.
Karen
I will pray, and if there is some physical help needed, let me know.
You are so thoughtful Karen. Bless your heart.
Post a Comment