The pink machine with the sparkley streamers and the shiny rubber tires
hung in the garage all winter long.
It had lots of use last summer but it still had those two extra appendages.
Finally, last week the father freed it from the rafters and removed those extra wheels.
He presented it to the little girl,
she giggled then studied the pink machine,
nervously pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose.
"Alright", she said.
"I will try it, but you need to help me"
So the two of them set out for the pavement.
With daddy's hand on her shoulder and instructions whispered in her ear
off she went
with a wibble, wobble, wibble wobble, crash!
right into the gravel.
Daddy picked the bike off the dirt.
"Do you want to keep going" he asked
"Yes", replied the little girl.
Again and again she hit the gravel
and again and again Daddy offered to stop.
"Nope, keep going" she muttered
About a kilometre down the road,
Daddy whispered to her as he picked her off the gravel.
"This time, keep your eyes on the road ahead, don't look down"
With that in mind she jumped on the pink machine and took off
eyes focussed on the road ahead.
So today, with another successful cyclist added to our household
I am thinking about new skills, new things and new ideas
but more importantly
asking the question,
What are my eyes focusing on?
Giving 2019
6 years ago
10 comments:
Awesome job Karen...keep writing!
I am falling down and hearing my Father encourage me a lot lately....and I am learning to refocus on the road ahead.
Sometimes that gravel can get right under your skin you know...it hurts!
Bless Calia and her new found freedom as well.
Hannah is learning to ride without trainers as well..... As a child that loses focus easily, it has been very trying... we welcome more sunshine so we can go outside and keep trying...Focusing is def. a struggle in all aspects.
Best one yet!! Keep writing!!
I can see the love of the father with his daughter in your writing. Your husband's love for his children is very evident. I'm sure that it just makes you love him even more.
You are both wonderful parents!
Wow! You guys have kid's learning to ride with out the extra wheels so early! Josiah and Tirzah learned at the same time...Josiah was in the 3rd grade and Tirzah was in Grade 1.
Karen, I thought that was beautifully written...great job!
Oh man!!!!!! Well written you creative woman!!! Thanks for the simple and profound reminder!!
Someday, when you are famous for your writing, I will be blessed to say I knew you!
I could tell you some very funny biking stories about my kids - I will probably write about some of them.
It is so neat to watch our children experience something for the first time. It very neat to also watch an adult experience something new for the first time.
Keep focusing on Jesus and each day will bring new things.
This reminds me of Peter walking on the water.
So, so true, that no matter how many times we fall he's right there to pick us up. Awesome story Karen.
Tammy
Post a Comment