Tuesday, April 17, 2007

S'mores (Karen's recipes)

As dusk falls in the forest,

Daddy is busy chopping.

Carefully the sticks are laid out

resembling some prehistoric hut.

The match is struck and set inside,

instant inferno as the pine needles ignite

and the structure is engulfed.

"Now, mommy, now Mommy???" the three children plead

as they sit in their camp chairs

holding their roasting sticks.

Their angelic faces are beaming in the flickering firelight.

"Yes" she says

then places that soft white marshmallow on their sticks.

"You want it nice and golden brown" are the instructions.

"Don't put it directly in the flame" she warns as the flame jumps on the oldest one's mallow.

"Put it out"......."blow on it"......"not in your sisters hair".."watch out!"

The hot gooey mess is placed on a graham cracker,

then chocolate and another graham cracker are placed on top.

When the process is repeated twice,

quiet consumes the camp

except for the sounds of the crackling fire

and the occasional call of the loon,

and three children munching and enjoying

a snack before bed in the great outdoors.

(I always keep a container of wet wipes handy when we do this, you can just imagine the sticky little faces and hands)

(this is a spin off of yesterdays entry....warmer weather is coming)


7 comments:

Shaun and Holly said...

YUMMY!!! Did you take pics of the kid's sticky faces?? That would be a cute site!

Amy said...

I like the idea of chocolate and marshmallows. I'm not as keen on sleeping in the great outdoors.---enjoy your tent, I'll enjoy my bed.
(and cook my smores over my gas stove..)

Williams Family Blog said...

Amy,

We will always keep our tents but we have been looking into purchasing a tent trailer (when Dave Ramsey and the budget say so)

Karen

Jen said...

This all SOUNDS so wonderful....until I sleep on lumps....hear the Call of the WILD, end up with flying and crawling bugs on me....HMMMM....I'll stick to my husband's version of camping....HOTELS!!!!!!

Shari said...

I'm so happy to be amongst kindred spirits. I am a hotel girl as is my husband. We did the camping thing for years as youth pastors and also ran youth camp.

I love the outdoors and nature. Come bed time - I want my bath and bed....and airconditioning and ......you get the picture.

My kids LOVE S'mores. Betty-Anne used Jersey Milk bars to make these last summer at the Acres....they were amazing!!

Williams Family Blog said...

Jersey milk or caramilk bars are definately my favourites on a s'more.

MMMMMMM

Karen

Amy said...

I love jersey milk ones..I've never tried caramilk though...oooohhh...not good for a prego.