Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Recently I was sharing with our kids some of my experiences with growing up on a dairy farm.

One of the fun tricks we used to do to unsuspecting cousins and friends was to stand beside the electric fence (in our rubber boots) and grab the the wire. There we would stand uneffected by the voltage that was coursing through that wire. We would then proceed to laugh hysterically as the naive friend (in running shoes) would wrap their fingers around the wire then receive a mild jolt of electricity. (I don't know...we didn't watch much TV)

Besides kids and their tricks the other interesting thing was to watch how animals responded to electric fences.

One of the things I could never fully understand was how a whole herd of cows could be contained in a pasture by a single strand of wire a couple of feet off the ground. There they would graze on short stubbly picked over grass while just on the other side of the wire there was corn growing or a field of hay almost ready for harvesting.The sad reality was that all it took was for the cows to be shocked once, then they never bothered with the wire again. Some days you could even keep the electricity off the wire and they still would be contained in that one field.

But, bring on spring, open the barn door and release the young 2 year old cows who have never experienced "the fence".There would be snorts and kicks, tails in the air and a mad charge to the corn field. They would not even see the fence as they busted through it......the funny thing was all it took was one crazy cow and the whole herd would follow and the great escape would occur.

So today, in the midst of a rainy day and all my mom chores I am thinking about cows, the farm and springtime............and listening to Israel's song (No limits) on my MP3 player...

10 comments:

Roxanne said...

Karen,
It sounds like we can learn a lot from the cows.
It sounds like they are pretty teachable.
It sounds like we would be wise to pay attention to the first zap that we get from Holy Spirit rather than insisting on our own way.
It sounds like you should have watched more television!!

Roxanne said...

P.S.-
It sounds like you need to share more about life on the farm!
Thanks Karen.

Jen said...

I remember my first jolt of electric fencing. my first summer as a cousellor on the Ranch...we had some guides who needed a little more TV time too! i would have been one of your naieve cousins! Only once though!

It has been a rainy week...but that is Spring too isn't it?

Anonymous said...

You forgot to say how much mom loved running after the cows that got out with the corn broom in hand yelling for us to go get dad .

(Ah memmories)

Amy said...

I LOVE that song...We often have it cranked in the house, although neither of my children can quite handle the pronounciation of 'boundaries"...
I lived in the country, and had LOADS of fun without a tv....Good times!!

Shari said...

Okay girls I will date myself. We had tv with only the rabbit ears and it was black and white.

I remember falling for the old electric fence trick also. As a child, I would spend several weeks each summer at my cousins farm - so I've done the milking by hand and chased the piglets while the mother pig chased us. I would make a terrible farmer, as I'm not very comfortable with the animals.

This blogging is exposing a side of you, Karen, that I didn't know exsisted.....I will definately be more careful around you!!

Roxanne said...

Okay Shari you ARE dating yourself.
I remember getting a "coloured" tv AND years later, "cable". Finally there was something different than 'Tommy Hunter" to watch on Saturday night!

Williams Family Blog said...

Alright Shari,

Just how much older than Roxanne are you???

Shari said...

Roxanne
If you tell our age difference I'll arrange for you to have a matching set of big toes!
Shari

Anonymous said...

aaaah that infamous cornbroom it sure came in handy